Monday, July 12, 2010

Life's Check List

There was a time in my life when I thought I was doing good. My life’s checklist was moving along smoothly: Graduate college, get married, buy a home, get a dog, lead High School ministry and so forth. I lived life as if I had acquired all the wisdom I would need … at the ripe old age of 23. Shamefully, some of my most self-centered moments were found in leading Bible study. I knew the fill -in-the-blank answers, memorized my scriptures and thoroughly studied the leader’s notes. Prepared for life right?
This adoption process has transformed that old Erin. There are too many experiences to share each in detail. But, one specific encounter with a dear friend summarizes my recent lessons from God. This young lady, who was once a part of the High School Bible study I lead several years ago, stopped by for a visit. But the dynamic was changed. I was no longer the person mentoring and guiding. Rather she was sharing words of encouragement and support for me. She heard about our dream of adoption by reading this blog and responded generously. Yes, that is the second poor college student, without a job, sacrificing to support our adoption. It destroyed the image I had of myself.
My first reaction is to resist the generosity of this young lady and others. However, God is humbling my heart. Asking for help is hard. Accepting help is even more challenging. But, God is working on replacing my self-centered tendencies with humility. He is crushing my pride and transforming it into compassion. He has changed my life checklist mentality to His divine purpose for my life.

My new life check list: More of God and less of me. Look at the perfect example of Jesus and not my inner voice.

Thank-you friends for your generosity that is truly life changing!

Only by the blood of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment