Wednesday, December 15, 2010

In the words of Chris ...

I have typed a ton of my opinions and feeling about adoption on this blog. Everything I have written Chris has also read and has agreed with. But, I thought I would share some of his words from his personal profile. This profile is a 51 page packets with over 150 questions about our marriage, mental health, parenting, support systems, preparedness, and much more. We have each completed a profile and I did not read Chris’ words until last night. I was so encouraged and inspired by the man I have married that I wanted to share it with you. What an awesome man of God and father! These are his exact words:

In the last ten years, how have you changed when dealing with life situations?
“I have learned that life is FILLED with unique situations and have found that God has led me through EVERY adversity I’ve ever been faced with. A maturity I didn’t have 10 years ago.”

What are your partner’s strengths and weaknesses?
“She is extremely passionate about The Lord, is very loving, encouraging and an excellent communicator. Weaknesses … I can’t think of any. She is perfect.”

What are you and your spouse’s similarities and differences? How do you resolve or accept these differences?
“We both respect one another’s needs and differences. We are unbelievably different and 100% opposites in nearly everything, but it has become the absolute perfect combination and we balance each other well.”

Describe your marriage in terms of emotional satisfaction.
“I feel a strong sense of compassion and love both from her and towards her, she completes every part of me and we balance each other out very well. We are very connected with one another’s needs."

If you and your spouse have ever separated or contemplated separation, please describe the circumstances, and how you resolved the difficulties.
“Never thought of it …. Ever.”

Please describe what you want your child(ren) to remember most when they look back from adulthood.
“That their father was ALWAYS available and was someone they could trust.”

Please describe what values and /or principals you plan to impart to your child(ren).
“Hard work. Dedication to whatever it is they want to do. Being friendly and loving and Christ-like to those around them. Forgiveness, probably my #1 virtue.”

How do you show your children that you love them?
“LOTS and LOTS of hugs and kisses. Words of encouragement.”

When and why did you decide to adopt?
“It has been my wife’s life long goal. She has always had a heart for adoption and I love children, whether they are my own or not, my heart goes out to all of them. I felt the Lord lead us toward adoption many years ago."

What is your ideal relationship with birth parents/biological family members?
“Family is extremely important to me so if there is any chance of an on-going relationship I would try to take full advantage of that. Even to the point of traveling back to the country to meet the parents.”

Please describe the characteristics of a child you feel would be suitable for your family to adopt (age, appearance, physical condition, background factors, ect.)
“Well, saying “suitable” insinuates that I have a rigid criteria in which that child must meet before I will accept them … this is simply not the case and I don’t agree with the question. I trust that God will provide the child that is in His plans for me to love and openly accept.”

What challenges and rewards do you anticipate as a minority family?
“Challenges – I am sure there will be some segregation at times, I think it’s important to respond in a humble manor and always be courteous. Rewards – the excitement about learning a new culture and the differences and incorporating them into our family dynamics.”

There are many other questions I wanted to share, but this gives you a flavor of the character of Chris. If it was possible I would post his entire profile for the world to read and be encouraged by. I am often the person in the spot light, but nothing I do would be possible without Chris’ behind-the-scenes support and dedication to our family.

I love my husband and the father of Lillian and our next child.
He is the reason this adoption is possible.

2 comments:

  1. I have a body full of goosebumps!!!! You guys are fantastic!!! A true inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the insight he has. What a gift to be able to read each others answers to these questions. This process so suits my love language!

    ReplyDelete